General Areas of Responsibility
The VP General Counsel is responsible for leading corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives. The VP General Counsel provides senior management with effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, manages the legal function and obtains and oversees the work of outside counsel, as necessary.
Speak to a Legal Recruiter
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Management serves the right to change or modify the functions of the job as required to meet the needs of the organization.
• Manages and oversees all the Company’s legal matters.
• Provides legal support for strategic and corporate development activities, including mergers & acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, and other strategic alliances.
• Provides legal support for Credit Agreements and other Treasury matters.
• Conducts legal research and reviews the Company’s litigation strategy pertaining to legal actions, including employment-related claims.
• Supports finance and accounting activities with collections and other customer bankruptcy matters.
• Lead all legal aspects of commercial contracts and MSA’s with customers, vendors, suppliers, and other third parties.
• Works with ethics, honesty, values, and integrity. Provides a position of professionalism to others.
• Provides expert and strategic legal advice to executive, senior management, and board on various matters such as legal rights, as well as new and existing laws.
• Maintains knowledge of the Company’s operations and legal documents.
• Promulgates and creates directives of corporate acts and decisions.
• Preserves all corporate records.
• Liaises with outside counsel regarding their assignments.
• Provides counsel and representation in areas such as torts, administrative proceedings, public records, contracts, and more.
• Oversees the development and implementation of policies, procedures, strategic plans, systems, and related initiatives consistent with the attorney-client relationship and operational standards.
• Develops and implements short-term and long-term goals and plans to improve the efficiency and efficacy of the legal representation of the Company.
• Reviews and analyzes complex written documents.
• Obtains and presents material in oral and/or written form.
• Completes all safety and equipment related trainings required monthly.
• Any other duty, responsibility or task as assigned by the CEO or Board.
Supervises the Deputy General Counsel.
Qualifications and Education Requirement
- Master of Studies in Law or J.D. degree; MA or BSc in Business Administration will be considered an asset.
- Experience with complex capital and PE capital structures.
- Proven legal experience in business environment.
- Overall broad legal knowledge (corporate law, litigation, labor law, etc.).
- Well-versed in how businesses operate with financial acumen.
- Excellent judgement and analytical skills.
- High degree of professional ethics, integrity, and gravitas.
- Excellent time management, organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced, customer driven environment while producing quality work.
- Ability to make responsible decisions quickly, dependable and demonstrate self-responsibility.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with co-workers, customers, clients, and management.
Includes competitive base salary with annual target bonus and equity grants.