United Surgical Partners International (USPI), an affiliate of Tenet Healthcare Corporation and a national leader in outpatient surgery centers seeks to add a Senior Corporate Counsel -Development to its legal team based in its Farmers Branch, Texas headquarters located in the Dallas Metroplex. The successful lawyer will join a high impact and growing legal team and be expected to provide legal advice on a wide variety of matters related to USPI’s acquisition and de novo development of surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers and imaging centers.
Reporting to the Senior Managing Counsel of Development for USPI, the Senior Counsel – Development’s responsibilities will include but may not be limited to advising senior business executives and other attorneys on acquisitions, de novos, corporate structure, securities law matters, finance, divestitures, and the impact of healthcare fraud and abuse laws (including Stark and anti-kickback issues) on the foregoing as well as overseeing outside counsel on acquisitions and other transactional matters; The successful lawyer will:
- Oversee and assist with due diligence of target facilities
- Identify acquisition issues to report to the Senior Managing Counsel – Development and assist in issue resolution prior to closing
- Assist with review and preparation of contracts in connection with transactions
- Act as liaison and manage relationships with outside counsel, consultants and company personnel
- Manage acquisition process to ensure completion of closing and pre/post-closing items
- Ensure compliance with Corporate and center level governance requirements
- Communicate with other USPI legal counsel to ensure consistency of legal advice across the company
- Coordinate with other USPI and Tenet departments as necessary in connection with on-going projects
A minimum of three years of experience in active practice of mergers and acquisitions is required. Solid experience in a healthcare operations law practice, as well as a working knowledge of health care regulations, are strongly preferred. Prior large law firm experience is required.
Additionally, the successful lawyer must be self-motivated, organized, a team player and work well in a high-energy and fast-paced environment. The lawyer filling this position must also possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact with individuals at all levels of the company, including senior corporate executives and outside counsel. This position will involve handling confidential matters requiring the exercise of good judgment and discretion.
- Ability to work independently, as well as function effectively, within a team framework.
- Strong research, analytical, organizational, and computer skills are necessary.
- Must be extremely responsive to a high volume of diverse requests.
- Strong customer service orientation, meticulous attention to detail and initiative are essential for success in this role.
- Excellent project management skills, ability to execute on plan, deliver results and manage external legal costs.
- A self-motivated, organized team player who works well in a high-energy and fast-paced environment.
- A self-motivated, organized team player who works well in a high-energy and fast-paced environment. An individual who is cooperative, encourages collaboration and builds understanding; who easily gains trust and support of superiors and colleagues; who can find common ground and solve problems, and who owns his or her projects and commitments.
- The ability to communicate effectively with diverse constituencies and to deliver high quality written and verbal presentations. Astute interpersonal, public relations and negotiating skills.
- An individual of highest personal and professional integrity, principle and knowledge, earning respect and support when making difficult decisions and choices.
- This individual must also possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills and be extremely responsive to all constituents. He/she should also have the ability to effectively interact with individuals at all levels of the organization, including top executives and outside counsel. This position will involve handling confidential matters requiring the exercise of good judgment and discretion.
Juris Doctor Degree from an ASA Accredited Law School is required.
A competitive compensation program will be tailored to the selected candidate. Base salary will be supplemented by a performance bonus and comprehensive, well-rounded benefits program, which includes relocation assistance.
Tenet Healthcare complies with federal, state, and/or local laws regarding mandatory vaccination of its workforce. If you are offered this position and must be vaccinated under any applicable law, you will be required to show proof of full vaccination or obtain an approval of a religious or medical exemption prior to your start date. If you receive an exemption from the vaccination requirement, you will be required to submit to regular testing in accordance with the law.
- JOB: Executive Search
- PRIMARY LOCATION: Dallas, Texas
- FACILITY: Tenet Executive Search
- JOB TYPE: Full-Time
- SHIFT TYPE: Days
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicant’s or employee’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet participates in the E-Verify program. Follow this link for additional information. E-Verify>>